Thursday, July 23, 2009

Hello Missouri

We now have Kansas in our rear view mirror. Carl and I rode the night shift again last night and are getting pretty comfortable with night riding. One good thing is the lack of traffic and all of the 'critters' we see along the way. I had a large buck prancing along side me in the ditch as I rode by. He was with me for about a quarter mile and it was quite a sight.

Everyone has commented on the 'flatness' of Kansas, given that it seemed we were always riding up a slight grade with no down hill treat on the other side. So much for a break. However, it still was a lot easier than Colorado and what we are expecting ahead in Missouri.

I was very pleased that we able to make a stop in Elsmore, Kansas and visit the gravesites for my father and grandparents. We stopped to take a few pictures and Steve Sedgewick, said a blessing and prayer. Everyone enjoyed my directions as we found the cemetary and then went on to Savonburg, Kansas to take a picture of me standing in front of my grandmother's house. I appreciated everyone's willingness to take the time to stop.

Carl and I will be back on our bikes in a few hours and will ride from 7PM until midnight. Given our 5 hours shifts and rotation, we will ride in daylight tomorrow. The riding pattern is working out well giving everyone enough time to rest and eat between shifts. However, Carl and I both are feeling the effects of the riding. We each are able to start out strong on our rides, but by the end of our shift our power level is certainly diminished.

More tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Your 57. So ask Carl what's his excuse for running out of gas. ;-) Hang in there. You are both better men than me. Dave Petterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg,
    We have been following your blog as it is linked from Carl's. Sounds like the two of you are working well together and helping the team move across the country. We enjoy your perspective and that of the other riders. thanks for keeping us up to date--Jennifer, Fred, Alex & Claire Leichter (Carl's aunt & uncle & cousins)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,
    It is so interesting following your progress on this challenging trip, and I appreciate your taking the time to keep us informed. I am really thankful that the group took the time so you could visit the gravesites of your grandparents and father, but that was the Christian thing to do. God bless all of you.
    Jane Gibson

    ReplyDelete